In the past decade, there has been an explosion in the number and quality of products and services available for family caregivers. There are scores of books, magazine and newspaper articles that address caregiver concerns. Some notable examples are:
BOOKS: General Caregiving Responsibilities
- Abramson, Alexis. The Caregiver’s Survival Handbook. Perigee, 2004.
- American Medical Association. Guide to Home Caregiving. John Wiley. 2001.
- Meyer, Maria and Derr, Paula. The Comfort of Home: A Complete Guide for Caregivers. CareTrust. 2007.
- McLeod, Beth Witrogen Ed. And Thou Shalt Honor: The Caregiver’s Companion. Rodale. 2002.
- Sheehey, Gail. Passages in Caregiving: Turning Chaos into Confidence. William Morrow. 2010.
- Cade, Eleanore. Taking Care of Parents Who Didn’t Take Care of You. Hazelden. 2002.
- Carr, Sasha and Choron, Sandra. The Caregiver’s Essential Handbook: More than 1,200 Tips to Help You Care for and Comfort the Seniors in Your Life. Contemporary Books. 2003.
- Delehanty, Hugh and Ginzler, Elinor. Caring for Your Parents. AARP. 2005.
- Ilardo, J and Rothman, C. Are Your Parents Driving You Crazy? VaderWyk & Burnham. 2001.
- Lebow, Grace, et.al. Coping with Your Difficult Older Parent. Avon Books, 1999.
- Loverde, Joy. The Complete Eldercare Planner. Revised & Updated Edition. Three Rivers Press. 2009.
- Rhodes, Linda. The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Caring for Aging Parents. Alpha Books. 2001.
- Zukerman, Rachelle. Eldercare for Dummies. Wiley. 2003.
BOOKS: Caregiver Stress
- Abramson, Alexis. The Caregiver’s Survival Handbook. Perigee, 2004.
- Barg, Gary. The Fearless Caregiver. Capital Books. 2003.
- Davis, Martha et.al. The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook. 6th edition. New Harbinger. 2008.
- Hamilton, Jane. The Caregiver's Guide to Self-Care: Help for Your Caregiving Journey. Infinity. 2010.
- Hennessy, Maya. If Only I’d Had This Caregiving Book. AuthorHouse. 2006.
- Jacobs, Barry. The Emotional Survival Guide for Caregivers. The Guilford Press, 2006.
- Kabat-Zinn, John. Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain and Illness. Fifteenth Anniversary Edition. Delta. 2009.
- Reivich, K and Shatte, A. The Resilience Factor. Broadway Books. 2002.
BOOKS: Caregiver Stories and Storytelling
- Canfield, Jack, Hansen, Mark Victor, and Thieman, LeAnn. Chicken Soup for the Caregiver’s Soul. Health Communications. 2004.
- Livo, Norma. Story Medicine. Libraries Unlimited, Teacher Ideas Press. 2001.
- Maguire, Jack. The Power of Personal Storytelling. Penguin Putnam. 1998.
- McLeod, Beth W. Caregiving: The Spiritual Journey of Love, Loss and Renewal. John Wiley. 2000.
- Meade, E H. Tell It By Heart: Women and the Healing Power of Story. Dreamcatcher/ Open Court. 1995.
- Owens, VS. Caring for Mother: A Daughter’s Long Goodbye. Westminster John Knox Press. 2007.
- Remen, Rachel Naomi. Kitchen Table Wisdom: Stories That Heal. Riverhead Books. 1996.
- Rooks, Diane. Spinning Gold out of Straw: How Stories Heal. Salt Run Press. 2001.
- Stone, Richard. The Healing Art of Storytelling. Hyperion. 1996.
BOOKS and DVD’s: Prayer and Spiritual Aspects of Caregiving
- Bartocci, Barbara. Grace on the Go: Quick Prayers for Compassionate Caregivers. Morehouse. 2008.
- Blaine-Wallace, William. Water in the Wastelands: the sacrament of shared suffering. Cowley. 2002.
- Bledsoe, Wanda Scott and Milt. Walking Together Through Illness: Twelve Steps for Caregivers and Care Receivers. Augsburg. 2006.
- Groves, Nancy. Faith & Illness: Reflections on God’s Sustaining Love. Patient Press. 2002.
- Hamma, Robert. In Times of Caregiving: Prayers of Renewal and Restoration. Ave Maria. 2004.
- Haugk, Kenneth. Christian Caregiving: A Way of Life. Augsburg. 1984.
- Holy Cross Family Ministries. Pray with Me Still: Rosary Meditations and Spiritual Support for Persons with Alzheimer’s, Their Caregivers and Loved Ones. Ave Maria Press. 2006.
- Leal, Carmen. The Twenty-Third Psalm for Caregivers. AMG Publishers. 2004.
- Person, Gretchen. Psalms for Healing: Praying with Those in Need. Augsburg, 2001.
- Sparks, Martha. Give Us this Day: Daily Hope for Caregivers. Wesleyan Publishing. 2003.
- Sowers, Laura. Twice Blessed: Encouragement for Caregiver & Carereceiver.Broadman & Holman, 2005.
Books for Professionals: Compassion Fatigue and Self-Care
- Ban Breathnach, Sarah. Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy. Time Warner. 1995.
- Borysenko, Joan. Inner Peace for Busy Women: Balancing Work Family and Your Inner Life. Hay House. 2003.
- Bridges, William. Transitions: Making Sense of Life’s Changes. DaCapo Press. 2004.
- Bridges, William and Susan. Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change. 3rd Edition. DaCapo Press. 2009.
- Canfield, Jack, Hansen, Mark Victor, and Thieman, LeAnn. Chicken Soup for the Nurse’s Soul: Second Dose. Health Communications. 2007.
- Churniss, Cary. Beyond Burnout: Helping Teachers, Nurses, Therapists and Lawyers Recover from Stress and Disillusionment. New York: Brunner-Routledge. 1995.
- Covey, Stephen. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. New York, Fireside Books. 1989.
- Davis, Martha et.al. The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook. 6th Edition. New Harbinger. 2008.
- Doka, Kenneth. & Davidson, Joyce. (Ed.) Caregiving and Loss: Family Needs, Professional Responses. Hospice Foundation of America. 2001.
- Douty, Linda. How Can I Let Go if I Don’t Know I’m Holding On? Morehouse Publishing. 2005.
- Figley, Charles. (Ed.) Compassion Fatigue: Coping with secondary traumatic stress disorder in those who treat the traumatized. New York: Brunner/Mazel. 1995.
- Figley, Charles. (Ed.). Treating Compassion Fatigue. New York: Brunner-Routledge. 2002.
- Gawain, Shakti. The Four Levels of Healing: A Guide to Balancing the Spiritual, Mental, Emotional and Physical Aspects of Life. New World Library. 1997.
- Gawain, Shakti. Creative Visualization. 30th Anniversary Edition. New World Library. 2008.
- Kabat-Zinn, John. Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain and Illness. 15th Anniversary Edition. Delta. 2009.
- Reivich, Karen and Shatte, Andrew. The Resilience Factor. Broadway Books. 2002.
- Schaef, Anne Wilson. Meditations for Women Who Do Too Much. Harper Collins. 2004.
- Smith, Patricia. Healthy Caregiving: A Guide to Recognizing & Managing Compassion Fatigue. Presenter’s Guide: Level 1. Compassion Fatigue Awareness Project. 2008.
- Smith, Patricia. To Weep for a Stranger: Compassion Fatigue in Caregiving. Healthy Caregiving. 2009.
- Stamm, Beth H. Secondary Traumatic Stress: Self-Care Issues for Clinicians, Researchers and Educators, 2nd Ed. Lutherville, MD: Sidran Press. 1999.
- Wicks, Robert. Overcoming Secondary Stress in Medical and Nursing Practice: A guide to professional resilience and personal well-being. New York: Oxford University Press. 2006.
- Wicks, Robert. The Resilient Clinician. Oxford University Press. 2008.
To purchase these books online, visit our store.